Wine Food Pairing- Saturday Afternoon Pizza Pie, Please!

Yep, Saturday afternoon and it is steamy and rainy out in SW Florida. What can wine food pairing come up with to make the afternoon a success? Hmmmm ….. how about a pizza pie made with whole wheat dough? My new bread maker knows just how to do it right … all I have to do is feed it the right ingredients … LOL!

One hour later and the dough was ready to stretch in the pan … I know, some talented people “throw” their dough in the air … I am not blessed with that talent. As a retired paramedic, I can do CPR with the best of them, crawl into an upside down vehicle and stabilize a patient or even deliver a breech baby with a non English speaking Mom, but I simply cannot get pizza dough to fly in the air and land nicely in the pan ….. I guess everyone has certain claims to fame :-) So, I “cheat” and use a rolling pin, the crust is still is not round, but it ends up tasting pretty good anyway. I sprinkle the pan with a bit of corn meal to keep it from sticking, prick the crust with a fork to vent and pop in the oven at 450F for 15 minutes to brown.

Meanwhile, my sauce is ready to go, I have sliced fresh mushrooms, onions and get out my stick of pepperoni to slice thinly … YUMMO … this is going to be good! Everything is ready for assembly mozzarella cheese goes on, a drizzle of EVOO and topped with some basil and in the oven it goes again for another 15 minutes.

Of course, I have been sipping on a Chilean Merlot while making the pizza preparations … a must with any meal that requires this much concentration. Concha y Toro Frontera is the wine for the afternoon and it satisfies quite nicely while I work in the kitchen. My husband and I both agree that it combines great with my homemade pizza … but wait, what about entertainment? No, I am not going to sing, but there is a cool horror movie on … and after all, what is better with pizza and wine on a rainy Saturday afternoon, huh?

Horror movie it is! Wine food pairing, pizza … CHEERS!

2 comments:

Sunshinemom said...

Wow! Yours must have an adventurous profession! Tossing a pizza is not up my alley too. I was just reading your other posts too - we in India are used to power cuts every day! Four hours a day! I have to plan even baking bread/cake accordingly.

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds like a great pizza! Glad to hear that you are back in action Denise! :)