Wine Food Pairing with Pineapple Salsa

It all started out 2 years ago when I bought a pineapple at the local Publix store .... we ate the pineapple, enjoyed it and then my husband said "why don't we plant the top"?

OK, we live in Florida, why not? I trimmed the top a bit and put it in a glass of water for a few day ... not much happened except the water got cloudy ... so I went out to the back yard, dug a shallow hole filled, it with water and then placed the scraggly looking top, in the hole, brushed dirt and mulch around it and gave it a quick sprinkle of water.

Houdini was told to keep an eye on it while he did his perimeter checks and was warned specifically NOT to piddle on it! This is it after one year ....

Two years pass by and we have a magnificent pineapple specimen ready to eat ... what should I do with this bountiful harvest? As you can see, it is not all that big so I want to make it count!


First off, we sample a bit of fruit and it is the sweetest pineapple I have ever tasted ... YUMMO!

As the wine food pairing queen, though, I wanted to do something special. I made a salsa out of the pineapple, red onion, cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime (off the neighbors tree!)

Friends had just dropped off some pompano that they had caught earlier in the day .... OH MY! Was this a treat. I grilled the pompano in the fish basket and then garnished the plates with the fresh pineapple salsa ..... the combo together was awesome!

I popped the cork on an Italian Pinot Grigio and the crisp chilled wine, fresh fish and salsa were better than anything I have ever eaten in a restaurant setting ....

Wine food pairing at home, with the freshest ingredients is sometimes the very best. CHEERS!

No comments: